Our Privacy Principles
If you read nothing else, please read this:
- The most fundamental privacy principle we follow is that by default, anything you post to eWorkplace Apps is private to your company. That is, viewing the messages and files shared within a specific company requires authentication as a member of that company.
- eWorkplace Apps is the custodian of data on behalf of the companies that use eWorkplace Apps. We don't own company communication data. Companies own their data. They like it that way and so do we.
- At eWorkplace Apps we believe that more transparency is better than less. We try to make our product easy to use, with settings and options that are easy to find and understand. This is good for privacy, good for the product, and good for eWorkplace Apps customers and users.
- We think that having more information be easily accessible and searchable wherever you go, whatever device you have, is better than having less. So this is how we built eWorkplace Apps. Companies can select their own data retention policies but our defaults show our bias. Administrators and owners can change these settings but we want you to know where we stand.
- Privacy goes hand in glove with security and confidentiality. We see these things being the three legs that keep the stool balanced and upright. Each is as important as the other and if one is missing the stool won't stand. They are all very important to us and we take them very seriously.
Updated: May 13, 2015
This policy describes how eWorkplace Apps treats your information, not how other organizations treat your information. If you are using eWorkplace Apps in a workplace or on a device or account issued to you by your employer or another organization, that company or organization likely has its own policies regarding storage, access, modification, deletion, and retention of communications and content which may apply to your use of eWorkplace Apps. Content that would otherwise be considered private to you or to a limited group of people may, in some cases, be accessible by your administrator. Please check with your employer or administrator about the policies it has in place regarding your communications and related content on eWorkplace Apps. More on this below.
Information we collect and receive
We collect different kinds of information. Some of it is personally identifiable and some is non-identifying or aggregated. Here are the types of information we collect or receive:
- Company information. When you create a company on eWorkplace Apps, we collect your email address (as the administrator), your team name, your user name that appears in your eWorkplace Apps company, and password.
- Account and profile information. The only information we require to create your eWorkplace Apps account is your first and last name, an email address and password. Any optional information you add to your profile is visible to other people in your company as described on your user profile page.
- Log data. When you use eWorkplace Apps, our servers automatically record information including information that your browser sends whenever you visit a website or your mobile app sends when you're using it. This log data may include your Internet Protocol address, the address of the web page you visited before coming to eWorkplace Apps, your browser type and settings, the date and time of your request, information about your browser configuration and plug-ins, language preferences, and cookie data.
- Device information. In addition to log data, we may also collect information about the device you're using eWorkplace Apps on, including what type of device it is, what operating system you're using, device settings, unique device identifiers, and crash data. Whether we collect some or all of this information often depends on what type of device you're using and its settings.
- Geo-location information. Precise GPS from mobile devices is collected only with your permission. WiFi and IP addresses received from your browser or device may be used to determine approximate location.
- eWorkplace Apps usage information. This is information about which teams, groups, people, features, content, and links you interact with within eWorkplace Apps and what integrations with related services you use.
- Service integrations. If you integrate with a service on eWorkplace Apps we will connect that service to ours.
- We do not receive or store your passwords for any of these services.
- You can remove an integration at any time which unbinds that integration on a go-forward basis. That does not, however, delete the content that was received from them and indexed within eWorkplace Apps. That content must be deleted manually.
- Communication content that you send and receive within eWorkplace Apps. This includes:
- The message content itself. This content can include messages, pictures, files and video among other types of files.
- When messages or files were sent and by whom, when or if they were seen by you, and where you received them (in the message center, private chat group, or direct message, for example).
- Information from partners or other 3rd parties. eWorkplace Apps may receive information from partners or others that we could use to make our own information better or more useful. This might be aggregate level information about which IP addresses go with which zip codes or it might be more specific information about how well an online marketing or email campaign performed.
Cookies are small text files sent by us to your computer and from your computer to us, each time you visit our website. They are unique to your eWorkplace Apps account or your browser. Session-based cookies last only while your browser is open and are automatically deleted when you close your browser. Persistent cookies last until you or your browser delete them or until they expire.
Some cookies are associated with your eWorkplace Apps account and personal information in order to remember that you are logged in and which teams you are logged into. Other cookies are not tied to your eWorkplace Apps account but are unique and allow us to do site analytics and customization, among other things. If you access eWorkplace Apps through your browser, you can manage your cookie settings there but if you disable all cookies you may not be able to use eWorkplace Apps.
eWorkplace Apps sets and accesses our own cookies on our company-owned domains.
How we use your information
We use your information for the following:
- Providing the eWorkplace Apps service. We use information you provide to authenticate you and deliver content to you and from you.
- Understanding and improving our products. To make the product better we have to understand how users are using it. We have a fair bit of data about usage and we intend to use it many different ways to improve our products, including research. This policy is not intended to place any limits on what we do with usage data that is aggregated or de-identified so it is no longer tied to a eWorkplace Apps user.
- Investigating and preventing bad stuff from happening. We work hard to keep eWorkplace Apps secure and to prevent abuse and fraud.
- Communicating with you
- Solving your problems and responding to your requests. If you contact us with a problem or question, we will use your information to respond to that request and address your problems or concerns.
- In-product communications. We may use the information you provide to contact you through eWorkplace Apps using in-product messaging tools. For example, if, after, a few weeks of using eWorkplace Apps we notice that your notification setting is set to notify you of all messages, we may send you a eWorkplace Apps message that suggests you change this in case you are getting too many notifications. This is just one example of how we use information about your usage of the product to make suggestions to you.
- Email messages. We may send you service and administrative emails. We may also contact you to inform you about changes in our services, or our service offerings. These messages are considered part of the service and you may not opt-out of them. In addition, we sometimes send emails to eWorkplace Apps users about new product features or other news about eWorkplace Apps. You can opt-out of these at any time.
When you use eWorkplace Apps, you have control over a number of things with respect to your own privacy and choices about how your content is visible to others or not. If you are a eWorkplace Apps company administrator, you have additional choices that impact your team's privacy. Some users will not have access to all of the same choices that their department or group owner(s) or administrator(s) do. That is because eWorkplace Apps is set up to be team-oriented, and provides administrators and owners with the maximum ability to control their teams. Such choices include message retention and export options.
Sharing and Disclosure
There are times when communications and related content and other user information may be shared by eWorkplace Apps. This section discusses only how eWorkplace Apps may share user information. Organizations that use eWorkplace Apps may have their own policies for sharing and disclosure of information they can access through eWorkplace Apps. eWorkplace Apps may share information:
- With consent, to comply with legal process, or to protect eWorkplace Apps and our users. When we have your consent or if we believe that disclosure is reasonably necessary to comply with a law, regulation or legal request; to protect the safety, rights, or property of the public, any person, or eWorkplace Apps; or to detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues. If we receive a legal or law enforcement request for information we will do our best to notify the subject of the request if we are able.
- About you with your organization or team administrator(s).
- We may share your email address with your organization. If the email address under which you've registered your account belongs to or is controlled by an organization (to be clear, we're not talking about free web-based email providers like Gmail, Hotmail or Yahoo! Mail) we may disclose that email address to that organization in order to help it understand who associated with that organization uses eWorkplace Apps, and to assist the organization with its enterprise accounts. Please do not use a work email address for our services unless you are authorized to do so, and are therefore comfortable with this kind of sharing.
- In addition, there may be times when you contact eWorkplace Apps to help resolve an issue specific to a group or team you are a member of. In order to help resolve the issue, we may need to share your concern with your administrator. When possible, we will try to mask or remove any identifying information before sharing these communications.
- That is aggregated and non-identifiable. We may also share aggregated or non-personally identifiable information with our partners or others for business or research purposes. For example, we may tell a prospective eWorkplace Apps customer the average number of messages sent within a eWorkplace Apps team in a day or may partner with research firm or academics to explore interesting questions about workplace communications. Again, this policy is not intended to prohibit the disclosure and use of aggregated or de-identified data.
eWorkplace Apps takes reasonable steps to protect information you provide to us as part of your use of the eWorkplace Apps service from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access or disclosure. When you enter sensitive information (such as sign-in credentials) we encrypt the transmission of that information using secure socket layer technology (SSL). We follow generally accepted standards to protect the personal data submitted to us, both during transmission and once we receive it. However, no electronic or email transmission or digital storage mechanism is ever fully secure or error free.
eWorkplace Apps is not directed to children under 13. If you learn that a minor child has provided us with personal information without your consent, please contact us.
We may change this policy from time to time, and if we do we'll post any changes on this page. If you continue to use eWorkplace Apps after those changes are in effect, you agree to the revised policy. If the changes are material, we may provide more prominent notice or seek your consent to the new policy.
Contacting eWorkplace Apps
23191 La Cadena Drive, Suite 102
Laguna Hills, CA 92653